|Students working on their responses to the creative brief I gave them.|
As arranged with their lecturer, Mary Campbell, I had two hours to talk. I decided to give an overview of:
- My education.
- My background in graphic design and animation.
- The many and varied clients and projects I have been involved with. (I had quite a large portfolio with me!)
- How I work with clients.
- Sources of illustration work.
- How to look for work.
- Publicizing your work.
- Useful education and training for self employed illustrators.
- Support groups and networks for illustrators.
That was a lot of talking and unfortunately I didn't realise I was starting to run over time until shortly before I had to finish. The students only had 20 minuttes or so to draw their responses to the character based creative brief I had given them. They were amazing, they all produced something and many of them managed to create interesting characters that would be viable.
The students are looking for work experience placements in illustration, design or related businesses, studios or agencies in London. If you can help please contact art and design lecturer Mary Campbell at the college or send a message to me and I'll pass it on.